Sunday, September 10, 2006

Pre-Days 8-11 - Almost There...

Not much new to write about. Thursday was a pretty busy day, we started later than usual and were supposed to have a safety seminar but the lady that does it had something come up, so we went to the "Palmetto Pig," an all you can eat BBQ buffet. Being that the place is called the Palmetto Pig you can imagine there wasn't too much for me to eat there, but I still managed to load my plate up with food I was probably gonna waste.

After lunch we went back to campus to study some Japanese, and then had a pretty exhausting Japanese class where we watched some more outdated Japanese culture videos.

After class, since apparently we hadn't eaten all that we could eat earlier, we went to the Olive Garden for some neverending pasta bowls which, due to neverending salad and breadsticks, ended all too soon.

After dinner and a long, drawn out, and pretty uneventful trip to walmart, we went home and passed out.

Friday was maybe the most fun I've had since I've been here. In the morning we met Segawa-Sensei, a chemical engineering professor at Sophia University in Tokyo who was a big proponent of the program. Japan has a mandatory retirement age at 62, so he retired and will be moving to South Carolina. We all gave him a quick 5 minute biography of ourselves and then parted ways. After the biographies we had the usual lunch/do nothing/study/class routine.

After class Claire, Tim and I went to publix to get beer and cake for Joey's going away party that night. For some reason Joey could never remember the Japanese word for money (okane) so we wrote Joey "Okane" Kotarek on the cake along with some dollar signs. He was very touched when we gave it to him, but I think he started feeling a bit awkward when we cut out the dollar signs, put them on our faces, and took pictures of the "moneyshot." It probably didn't help when I ate the Joey and told him that Joey feels so warm and gooey in my mouth. I guess he better get used to it though, or things are going to be very uncomfortable the next 3 months.

Saturday and Sunday were pretty relaxed, my favorite pseudonym for boring. Saturday I went with Claire to watch the Oklahoma Washington game at a bar near the hotel, but didn't do much else. It is now Sunday, and me posting to the blog in the afternoon has both a purpose and a reason. The purpose is to give me something to do, and the reason is because I know my evening will probably be as uneventful as my morning was.

On that note, I leave for Japan in 4 days which is pretty fucking nuts.

No comments: